Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 51

What a day!  So many things to share.

This morning I went over to the BSG (Base Support Group) and chatted with them about bringing locals onto the compound.  It was cold and rainy this morning too, so it was nice to go into their little shack.  When I went in, I was surprised to see a cat scampering about!  It was the same one that sat on my lap the other day!  And when I looked around the room, I saw a can of cat food sitting out for him to eat!  So I'm certainly not the worst offender.  I discretely snuck him a treat, and he was my best friend!  I was squatting down, and he jumped up onto my legs and was rubbing all over!  He was quite charming.  :)  On the way back from that building, I actually saw a cat shelter someone had constructed out of wood.  I'm not sure what nationality, but it wasn't the American place.  Everyone loves the cats!

At the office, I called the Army Veterinarian on the phone and had a lovely chat.  She got her DVM from Minnesota, and got an MPH too.  She also took advantage of the Army Health Professions Scholarship.  She outlined some details, but it still sounds like a good deal.  She actually knew someone who came into the Vet Corps with 14 years of Navy experience, and she was promoted on a faster track.  So hopefully I'll be in a similar boat.

Let's see, then I pretty much sat around work all day and did very little.  It's the Eid holiday here, so I can't really get in touch with any Afghans, which is about all I need to get done.  So that wasn't very productive.  I read lots of xkcd.  I also emailed Chris Brown and asked him how SI110 was going.  Hopefully everyone is going well.  It's a darned good course, if I do say so myself!

Then I stopped by the NSE on a whim.  Sure enough, I got a key to the room upstairs.  So I moved a few things, and I'll plan to move the rest tomorrow.  I think Kevin Hanley is going to be my 2nd roommate, which will be fine.  He's Rodney Dangerfield in accent and personality, and he's a really nice guy.  The good news is that there are only 2 beds in the room total, and it just feels like there's more space.  I couldn't get the internet port to work, which is why I stayed in my room tonight.  On the other hand, the guy's router in here went dead because he hung a wet wetsuit over the router.  Go figure, electronics and water rarely get along well.  So I think his router is toast.  I'm connected via the ethernet cable at the moment, but I'll hand it off to the next guy in a few minutes.

I think that's it for now.  I seem to have a lack of pictures of Emili, so if anyone has pictures they'd like to share, send them my way!  That's all for today, so good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment