Monday, February 27, 2012

Day 162

I woke up to another 6 inches of snow this morning.  It had started last night, but it was very light.  We certainly didn't expect any significant accumulation!  But don't worry, it warmed up today and it all melted.  There is still some snow around, but I think it'll be gone soon if the days keep getting warm.

I also learned about Quran disposal today.  Not that I could tell one apart from another Afghan book, but we're not even supposed to touch them.  Nor put anything on top of them.  I think propping your feet up on top of one is right out.

I nailed down a huge and critical portion of the itinerary for this next visit, so that was good.  The progress just goes so slowly, because I have to get consensus from 3 agencies for each change.  Very frustrating.  But in a couple weeks it'll all be over.

I had planned to go on a community relations mission tomorrow, but I don't think that's happening, go figure.  Something about an ungrateful nation wanting to kill us.  But hey, you can't fix stupid.

I'm really getting cynical about the whole mission here.  I already knew my job here was ridiculous.  Combat tourism, really.  But I have serious reservations about the infrastructure we've set up, and how long it will last when we leave.  I don't honestly think 10 years of our influence will cure 1000 years of doing business another way.  Corruption is a fact of life around here, and it's familiar to them.  If a religious item is more important than a life, then I can't help you.  Perhaps others are more optimistic, but I don't see it.

Well, time for bed.  We're now sleeping with our loaded guns next to the bed.  Per instructions...great.

No comments:

Post a Comment