Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day 79

Well, today was another sad day. My schedule was only marginally
affected, but a suicide bomber went into a mosque during their
celebration (today was Ashura, a Shiite holiday), and blew himself up,
killing 54-ish people. Simultaneously, another bomber killed 4 people
in Mazar-i-Sharif, up north. Very sad day.

While my group had too much down time, there wasn't much I could do
about it. They ended up scheduling a couple meetings on their own, so
that was fine with me. They went off and did their own thing and met
up with me later. I'll take them to breakfast tomorrow morning to
start off the day.

I got a letter from Grandma today, and also a package from Emili! So
that was wonderful. Emili sent me the name-tapes for my new uniforms,
which was great. Unfortunately, I got back to the room and I tried on
the tops to the new uniforms and they don't fit. Everything is a
large, whereas I am not. I already wanted to go to Bagram to get the
cold weather gear, but now I'll take back this box of uniforms and try
to get sets that actually fit. I just don't know when that will
happen. Maybe next week sometime.

Tomorrow will be bittersweet exciting for me, because I have my first
pair of Blackhawks coming to land and pick up my party. It's strange
to find myself on this side of the aircraft, and I would kill to be on
that side instead of where I am. I am not a people person, but I can
certainly fly sideways and backwards. Sigh. Well, I think it's off
to bed now. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment