Sunday, December 25, 2011

Day 98

Merry Christmas everyone!

This morning I got up and skyped with Emili and then with my parents and Lauren.  It was still Christmas Eve for them, but Christmas morning for me.  I quietly opened some gifts, where were great!  Here's a picture of my presents this morning.

 

After that, I settled into my Star Trek mode, and watched a few episodes of that.  It's mind numbing, but it often has me acutely feeling my loneliness.  But I don't have much of a choice.

I went into work around 11:30 today, checked my emails, and then we went to lunch mostly as a group.  It was hard to find a table that we could all sit at!  There was quite a spread today, with chicken, pork, turkey, supposedly goose (though I didn't see it), and lots of good desserts.  I ate entirely too much!  In fact, after we came back to the office, I was forced to fall asleep face first on my desk.  No choice, really.

At 2pm, a group of us went to the roof of a building to take part in the Corn-Hole Tournament.  Of course, I'd never played this game, nor knew the rules.  But somehow my partner and I won our first game.  We lost in the second round, but it was entertaining.  They people hosting definitely played this a great deal.  They had the home field advantage, but it was still fun.

 

You can see the Army boards, but the other side had Navy boards.  So friendly rivalries exist here as well!

Then I called my Mom at 6am her time, thinking she had surely been awake for the last hour.  But alas, Lauren does not get up nearly as early as I do!  So I had a nice chat, but nothing had really started yet.  So I'll try to call again later.

This afternoon in the office, both TV's were occupied with people shooting each other on XBoxes.  I'm sure they had a good time, but it was hard to concentrate.  Luckily, I was reading a book of short stories, and not doing anything super critical.

Dinner was a bit of a disappointment.  The dining facility had been advertising the menu for Christmas lunch and dinner for about 3 weeks.  Lunch was about as expected.  However, when we arrived for dinner, they were serving pizza, spring rolls, and chicken tenders.  Not exactly as advertised!  We hypothesize that they ran out of food, and pulled out something easy to serve quickly.  Still not the standard Christmas dinner meal though.  But that's ok.  We'll live.

That's about it for today.  It's been pretty long and not quite the same.  I hope everyone is having or just had a wonderful Christmas, and I look forward to the visiting when I get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment